Are you tired of trying one diet after another for weight loss?
Dietary guidelines have changed over the years as researchers are continuously trying to determine what we should eat to attain optimal health and weight.
We all know that calories matter! But focusing on food quality is an equally important part of preventing weight gain and promoting weight loss.
The most importance thing for me as a registered holistic nutritionist is to educate individuals to focus on eating high-quality foods in appropriately sized portions.
Here are the top 10 healthy & holistic weight loss tips that will make weight loss easy and fun.
- Lemon juice miracle Start your day with juice of half a lemon/lime in a glass of warm water 20 minutes before having your breakfast. This will cleanse your liver and kick start your digestion. When your digestion is fast, your metabolism also jump-starts and you will be using more calories instead of storing them as fat.
- NEVER EVER try to skip breakfast. What is the meaning of breakfast? It means break your fast. And if you delay or skip your breakfast, your body’s metabolism slows down and gets into the habit of conserving and storing whatever little you eat. So you may be saying that I eat so little and still I am putting on weight!!!!! Your body is smarter than you think! It has already started storing food for your rainy days as you are so much in the habit of skipping meals!
- Don’t wait till you’re starving, as this will only encourage binging. Research shows that over eating, binge eating and intense food craving are a direct result of restrictive eating behaviours! Instead, have 3 regular meals and 1-2 in between snacks as per your body constitution. Lunch must be your biggest meal of the day as your digestive fire is the strongest around noon.
- Under eat! Believe me, your brain needs 20 minutes to send the satiety signal to you. If you eat too fast, you have more chances of stuffing yourself too much. Stop when you are 80% full and never go for the second serving. Within 20-30 minutes you will realize that you don’t need to eat more. You are full! Remember to CHEW your food well. Take at-least 20 minutes to finish your meal.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of pure filtered water in a day. Sometimes when you feel hungry and try to reach for a sugary treat in your office you are not actually hungry. You are in fact thirsty!
- Do not drink liquids with your meals. Too much water with meals is like shutting your digestive fire off. It dilutes the digestive enzymes and leads to incomplete digestion. If you are thirsty, try to have a glass of clean water 15-30 minutes before the meal. While you are eating, you want your body to be efficient at digesting the foods and absorbing the nutrients you are consuming. This will give you the real satisfaction!
- Eat fruits in between meals. Eating whole fruits like apple or pear with the peel will provide you with a slow and sustained source of energy and keep your blood sugar levels stable. This will prevent you from having cravings and you will not reach for sugary treats.
- Eat your veggies They are loaded with fibre which will give you a full feeling and prevent you from over eating. Have 7-10 servings of veggies a day. Lightly steam them for better digestion and to get the maximum nutrition.
- Eat fish 3-4 times a week. The best source of animal protein in your diet is cold water fish. Fish is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids which plays a big role in weight loss.
- Use lentils, beans and legumes for replacing animal proteins. Use them baked, boiled, steamed or sprouted. Remember to pre-soak them overnight and cook them well. Use them in salads, curries, and hummus or simply as a sprouted salad. My favorite is sprouted mung beans salad with a dash of lemon!
Make the above tips your habit and you will achieve a gradual weight loss without any Yo-Yo effect!
If you would like help in this area in terms of Holistic Nutrition and Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle for balancing your doshas, and achieve a gradual weight loss please do CONNECT.
Want to LEARN MORE……
Check out OUR SELF-PACED ONLINE COURSES that include a perfect blend of Holistic Nutrition and our 5000-year-old ancient Ayurvedic wisdom!
The content provided in my blogs are for knowledge sharing purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.